For many of us, the time of year when focusing on Christ should be the easiest, is often the hardest. Our calendars are full of activities, the to-do lists are getting longer, the stores are getting busier, and an overwhelming stress has creeped into our hearts.
So how do we get back to the heart of the Christmas narrative?
For starters, worship. There’s a reason Worship Fully is the first tenet of Advent Conspiracy. We believe that when our hearts are oriented towards Christ, the rest of the tenets will fall into place. The way we spend, give, and love will radically change when it comes from a place of true worship.
Each year Advent brings another opportunity to worship the miracle of the Incarnation when God revealed himself to people in a new way. If you read the Christmas narrative, nearly every character who encountered the infant King had the same response: worship.
Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; He is the Messiah, the LORD. – Luke 2:10-11
Excitement, anticipation, hope—each of these emotions swells around the object of our dearest affection. The reality is that we spend our time and energy on what matters most to us. Notice what you’re spending your time and energy on. Is it drawing you closer to God or is it distracting you from something else?
Here’s a tough question: Does the way we spend our time, money, and energy testify that we worship God incarnate? Sit with that today. Ask God to open your eyes and heart to the truth.
Some activities to help you Worship Fully:
- Invite a friend over and see how they’re doing. Listen well.
- Have your kids read the Christmas story while setting up the nativity.
- For one night, unplug from all technology and social media. In a world full of noise, be intentional about quiet time.
- Read scripture or listen to the audio version of the Bible.
- Turn the radio off in the car and spend 10 minutes thanking God for the ways He has blessed you.
- Listen to the Advent Conspiracy playlist on Spotify. Let the lyrics settle into your heart.