Looking for ideas on how to Give More relationally this Christmas? Here are some Advent Conspiracy gift ideas to help get you started.
Spend Time Together
- Host a dinner party. Have everyone bring a prayer request to share with the group. Spend time encouraging and praying for the people God has put in your life.
- Create together. Do a puzzle, paint a picture, bake cookies, build a fort, write a song, make jewelry, garden, take photos.
- Be present. Make it a habit to have one technology-free night. Turn off the distractions and spend quality time together.
- Buy a devotional for you and a friend. Get together and talk about what you’re learning from God.
- Do an activity. Go for a hike and look at creation. Go see a concert or play.
Purchase with a Purpose
- Research Fair Trade companies and purchase Fair Trade certified goods.
- Shop local. Buy from local boutiques and artisans. Get to know the local business owners in your city.
- Find companies that give back. (some examples: PuraVida, Love Your Melon, Out of Print, Sseko, Good Spread, Cuddle+Kind, Sackcloth and Ashes, Diff Eyeware, Hiptipico, fashionABLE, Conscious Step, FEED, WeWood, Land of A Thousand Hills Coffee, House of Light Goods, Bombas, Headbands of Hope, SoapBox, Roma, Alex and Ani, C3 Wine Co, Hand in Hand Soaps, Noonday Collection, Issara Leather, Yellow Leaf Hammocks, Tegu Wooden Blocks)
- If you’re shopping online, set up an AmazonSmile account. A portion of your purchase will go towards different charity organizations.
- Partner with a Christian non-profit organization and change a life. (ex: World Vision, Living Water International, International Justice Mission, Hope International)
- Make a helping-hands coupon book. Give your family vouchers to babysit, help with yardwork, do the dishes, fold laundry, clean the kitchen, walk the dog.
- Host a serving day. Have friends and family get together and work on a project or volunteer at a local organization. You’ll be spending time together and serving someone in need.
- Care for the widows in your church. Take someone out to lunch after a church service and get to know their story.
- Volunteer at church as a family or small group. Christmas is often a very busy time for churches and their serving teams. Look for ways to help out during this season.
- Organize and clean out your friend’s pantry.
- Bake cookies and make a thank you card for someone who regularly serves your community. People like police officers, first responders, post office workers, doctors and nurses.
- Pay for a date night or babysit for a couple with young kids.
- Skip the traditional Christmas presents and instead plan a family vacation.
- Try something new. Cooking classes, music lessons, rock climbing, painting.
- Make a list of local restaurants, parks, and activities you want to explore. Grab a friend and see how many you can experience together in the next year.
- Hire a photographer to take family photos for one of your friends.
- Put together a cookbook of your favorite recipes that you can share with everyone in your family.
- Make a scrapbook or photo album for your grandparents.
- Over the next year, write 52 notes and share them with someone special next Christmas.
- Put together a family night basket. Wrap up some popcorn, candy, gift cards, and board games.
Make it Personal
- Pray for everyone on your Christmas list before purchasing anything. Remember what a gift they are.
- Find presents that celebrate the hobbies and passions of someone else.
- Remember it’s not about the number of gifts you give. It’s about celebrating your relationship and giving thanks to God for that person.
Share Your Talents
- Celebrate the talents that God has given you and share those with others. Throw a dinner party, take photos, knit a quilt, play music, write a children’s story, plan an adventure, organize and clean, sculpt and paint, etc.